httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: Executing Apache commands with PHP (module)
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:04:34 GMT
Jochen Kaechelin wrote:

> We want to write a webfrontend with php & mysql, so that our clients
> can manage their own subdomains ....
>
> How can I use php to execute command like
>
> /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl restart
> newaliases ....

If you consider that this would mean to shut down the server during the
request, it seems a bit weird when you think about it. I actually tried to
do a similar thing, but no good outcome.
It would probably be better that your php-script put a note somewhere, which
another process can pick up and restart the server. That would be better
than restarting every hour (as RuneImp suggested), to avoid restart when
it's not needed. Although, you also could have a process that frequently
checks the config file(s), and restart the server if it's been changed (ie.
different modification time).

Just my thoughts...

Regards,
Robert Andersson