httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Logout with Basic Authentication
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:42:58 GMT
Hello folks,

I know this is a bit off-topic, and rather a HTTP- than Apache-question, but
it is indeed closely tied to Basic Authentication, and should be of interest
to many people on this list that is using it.

What I wonder is if there is a way to make the web browser "forget" about
the username/password provided by the visitor when he accessed a document
protected with Basic Authentication.

I don't know if there may be a header that Apache could provide that does
the trick, or if you can do this on the client side (with javascript), or if
there is another hack or trick. I think I've seen suggestions to change the
realm, but that would "log out" every visitor (right?), and I will use very
many .htaccess files to provide custom protection at every folder, and
changing all of them would be messy.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Robert Andersson