httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: allowing free access to a directory under a protected directory
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 07:16:05 GMT
I'm sceptical to if it's possible to pop up a auth box, and let them in even though they don't
enter anything.

Ok. I understand what you want to achive. And, I think I know a solution for you. You know,
.htaccess files live in the filesystem, and apache will start looking for them from the document
root and down to the target folder and add up all options/configurations etc. it reads in.
The key here is to not have the public folder below the private in the file system, it doesn't
matter if it's below in the URL. Instead have something like this:

/www/comein/   (no authentication)
/www/root/        (authentication)

Then you apply a rewrite rule so that any request to www.yourdomain.com/ translates into /www/root/
while www.yourdomain.com/comin/ translates to /www/comin/. I can't give an example as I don't
have worked any with rewrite rules, yet, but know that this is an easy task for the engine.
Read the docs.

Regards,
Robert Andersson
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: George Gallen
  To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
  Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 3:52 PM
  Subject: RE: allowing free access to a directory under a protected directory

  that's the issue. I want the root directory protected against the random
  scanning of addresses, but also want to have a public directory that
  I can give out the URL of that doesn't require authentication.

  BUT...Can I have an authentication box come up, but not have the
  name verified? so basically, any username will work. That would be
  an acceptable workaround for now.

  Thanks
  George