httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ron Wingfield" <dtc...@ionet.net>
Subject Re: VirtualHost
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:03:58 GMT
Yes, there's nothing sacred about the spelling of a directory name.  The directory needs to
be executable, . . .and there are some security considerations that I'll not go into at this
writing, but briefly, I usually create a directory hierarchy on a device or partition away
from the system files, etc., such as /www/vhosts/xyz.com and set this as the DocumentRoot
of the (xyz.com) virtual in the VirtualHost container in the httpd.conf file.  Then other
subdirectories such as /www/vhosts/xyz.com/cgi-bin and /www/vhosts/xyz.com/htdocs can be created.
 I locate the index.htm (or index.html, . . .however you've configured your system to acknowledge
spellings, etc.) in the xyz.com directory; then all other html's are located in or below the
htdocs directory.

Any directory that falls below the DocumentRoot can (be configured to) contain executable
scripts; note that you can use a symbolic link to another directory, perhaps a global or common
repository for a script that may be useful for all virtual hosts (see the option, FollowSymLinks).
 You'll need a general purpose Directory container (traditionally found in the access.conf
file, but I include in the httpd.conf file) that includes the Options directive that will
enable the ExecCGI option for the directory path, for example:
  <Directory "/www/vhosts/*/htdocs">
      Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
      AllowOverride All
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all
  </Directory>
Notice the asterisk in the path to the htdocs -- this covers all virtual hosts so configured
with regard to the path structure.  Finally, remember, this is just one solution -- I just
noticed that Keith H. suggested using the script aliase technique.  That may be quicker for
you, but the method that I've described works well for the security structure that I'm building.

Good Luck,
Ron W.