httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: Mod_php for Win2kPro on Apache 2.0.35
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:36:51 GMT

Daniel Gaddy wrote,

> Where do I get mod_php from and the instructions on how to implement it
into
> apache... Because your right, I WOULD rather have mod_php so that it would
> stay active within apache rather than opening up a new process EVERY time
> php is accessed on the server... That will quickly bog down my box... Can
> you assist me with this...

Lets see...

1. First download the binaries from here: http://www.php.net/downloads.php
Select the first one ("PHP 4.2.1 zip package") which includes the extension.

2. Unpack the archive to a good place. You won't install (copy) this, so
it'll be where you put it now forever :-)
I put mine besides apache at G:/usr/local/php4/ (being somewhat unix
compatible)

3. You should then open up install.txt (for example:
G:/usr/local/php4/install.txt), and goto the section: "Windows Manual
install from zip binary distribution". Read the stuff so you're in on it,
but I comment some important steps.
- I'm not sure this is necessary, but you should copy the php4ts.dll to
%SYSTEMROOT%\system32 (if you're on NT)
- Copy the php.ini-dist to %SYSTEMROOT% and remove the '-dist'-part.
- Just follow the instructions when configuring the php.ini-file. You don't
need to change much but paths etc.

4. Skip down to the section "Web server configuration", and "Installing PHP
on Windows with Apache 1.3.x" (I know the version, but most stuff will work
anyway).
- Instead of modifying httpd.conf the way they say, add these lines:

LoadModule php4_module "G:/usr/local/php4/sapi/php4apache2.dll"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml

You should, of course, change the path to the dll to what you have. A tip is
to also add index.php etc. to the DirectoryIndex directiv

5. I hope i remembered most steps. Hopefully you restart the server and
everything works great. Try searching the archives here, as there were some
discussions about php4+Apache2 a while ago. Let me know if you run into a
rock.

Regards,
Robert Andersson