httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Gaddy" <dga...@sparctech.com>
Subject Re: virtual host apache 2.0.35
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 20:17:28 GMT
> 1. Where should the <virtualhost > entry go in the httpd.conf file?  In
the
> beginning, or end?  does it matter?
It should go at the end, where you see the examples of a virtualhost
directive.

> 2. Since i am using virtual host do i need to ONLY have this entry in the
> httpd.conf file?  I ask this because there ends up being duplication for
> entries such as ErrorLog and DocumentRoot
Yes, though you have not mentioned the namevirtualhost directive.  This is
an example of what you need:

NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
    ServerAdmin me@domain.com
    DocumentRoot DIRECTORY_THAT_WEB_IS_IN
    ServerName www.domain.com
    ServerAlias domain.com
    </VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
    ServerAdmin me@domain.com
    DocumentRoot DIRECTORY_THAT_WEB2_IS_IN
    ServerName www.domain2.com
    ServerAlias domain2.com
    </VirtualHost>

ETC...

> 3. I am skeptical as to how this works.  I have one IP address, but want a
> subdomain.  I even set up my regularly used address to use port 80 and the
> secondary (ie, subdomain) to use another port.  Is this enough?
You dont even have to have it use another port... Its not necessary, though
you can.  Just doing what I said above will work fine.

> The strange thing is when i have made the changes to my httpd.conf file i
> CAN gracefully restart it.  But then a second later the httpd deamon is
not
> running.  I do a apachectl status and it says it is not running and that
it
> cannot access the http://localhost:server-status.  If i try to manually
> start it again it says that i cannot.
>
> What am i doing wrong?
Sorry, cant be much help here... I am running 2.0.35 on Win32... Someone
else pick up on this for him please...