httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dmitry Medvedev" <medve...@rsdsoft.msk.ru>
Subject Re: (OT) Re: SSL module (was New windows user)
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:34:21 GMT
I see... :-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Fellows" <lfellows@4lane.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 7:07 PM
Subject: (OT) Re: SSL module (was New windows user)

> Hi Dmitry,
>
>   Not sure of all that building ssl support on Windows entails, but
> mod_ssl normally depends upon openssl.  OpenSSL depends upon some source
> of random data to generate keys.  I am not positive of this, but I
> suspect that such a source does not natively exist in the Windows
> environment, hence supporting SSL on windows requires unique building
> techniques.
>   As to resembling the mod_so situation, no.  Mod_so needs to be
> compiled statically into apache to support DSO (dynamically loading
> modules) because mod_so implements the LoadModule functionality.
>

> On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 07:31, Dmitry Medvedev wrote:
> > Oh yah... This is really curious as far as Apache modular structure
support is concerned. This one (mod_ssl) seems to play its own game. In
order to bind it to the server you should recompile the server with the
module. There exists a site (modssl.org) where you can get a precompiled
Apache with ssl support.
> > Of course it is not so convenient as with the rest of modules.
> > I suspect that in order to add support of the ssl to the server its
insides (the server's I mean) should undergo some certain changes. This
resembles the situation with the mod_so, the one which must be compiled in
and cannot be loaded at run time via the LoadModule directive.