httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ron Wingfield" <dtc...@ionet.net>
Subject Re: CGI and ScriptAlias Alternatives
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 03:58:22 GMT
Yes, I guess I AM using SSL -- my instruction in the index.htm is:

            <!--#exec cgi="/www/cgi-bin/perl/counter.pl"-->

. . .but, I'm a neubie, and I try what I read, and I have never read anything about "direct
CGI" until now.  Thanks!  I'll try some options, and let you know.

OTTF (Onward Through The Fog),
Ron W.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joshua Slive
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 9:33 PM
  Subject: Re: CGI and ScriptAlias Alternatives

  Ron Wingfield wrote:

  > I'm having difficulty executing the counter.pl in the common directory.
  > If I add a ScriptAlias, e.g.,
  >
  >   ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/   "/www/cgi-bin/perl/"
  >
  > to the httpd.conf container for the VirtualHost, apples.com.
  >

  > After execution of the index.htm file in the host's DocumentRoot
  > directory, /www/vhosts/apples.com (as directed in the httpd.conf file),
  > the error-log message contains:  "invalid CGI ref
  > "www/cgi-bin/perl/counter.pl".

  This sounds conspicuously like you are using SSI, not direct CGI.  The
  error message is from the SSI.

  Start by requesting the cgi script directly (as in
  http://example.com/cgi-bin/perl/counter.pl) and make sure that works.

  Once that works, then try to get it to work in SSI.  Forget about "#exec
  cgi".  You should never use that.  Instead, use <!--#include
  virtual="/cgi-bin/perl/counter.pl" -->.

  Joshua.