httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Hsiang" <chsi...@ivivos.com>
Subject RE: Apache Monitoring tools
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 18:35:05 GMT
You are right about VMonitor so that is why it wasn't my choice.  What I
want to accomplish is this...   It is very easy now to hijack http
connetion from a single computers.  WWWHACK and other tools is able to
hijack http connection to an apache server.  What I want to is monitor
is current http connection made to our server and also what is the CPU &
memory usage of apache.   It would be great if the monitoring tools can
set limits and alert and notify.

We are currently already running analog, report magic and also AWstats.
I am not looking for log analyzing tools

Chris Hsiang
Intervivos LLC

From: Jeff Beard [mailto:jeff@cyberxape.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 9:28 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: Apache Monitoring tools

Be more specific about what you are trying to accomplish.
(and we can take this offline since it's off-topic :)

>>From the Apache::VMonitor perldoc:

       This module emulates the reporting functionalities of
       top(1), extended for mod_perl processes, mount(1), and
       df(1) utilities. It has a visual alerting capabilities and
       configurable automatic refresh mode. All the sections can
       be shown/hidden dynamically through the web interface.

It's a mod_perl module which means you have have to build Apache
with mod_perl (perl.apache.org).

I've looked at it in the past but have not used it in any production
servers. I don't like to sit in front of a monitor and stare at noise
from my computers. It's more efficient to define failure paths and have
an alert of some sort sent to you.

--Jeff