httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dmitry Medvedev" <medve...@rsdsoft.msk.ru>
Subject Re: apache URL help
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:37:13 GMT
1. Yes, of course. First of all you should add the -Indexes to the Options
directive of the "/var/apache/htdocs/cfide" directory.
2. Then you should specify a file which should be "displayed" by the Apache,
for it _certainly_ will search for a file to return to the client if the
client just types: http://medsurge. The directive responsible for this is
DirectoryIndex which should be placed within the "</Directory
/var/apache/htdocs/cfide> ... </Directory>" block. As a parameter for this
directive almost any file can be specified. Usually it is an html, shtml or
other text file, still you can specify an executable. The index for a
directory not really need to reside in this very directory, for instance,
you can specify the DirectoryIndex as follows: DirectroyIndex
/var/apache/cgi-bin/index.pl, provided that the index.pl exists and ExecCGI
or similar directive is set for the /var/apache/cgi-bin directory.
Well, the main idea of the Apache server is to serve clients via obtaining
client requests and sending responses to them. When a client points to, say,
http://medsurge (which is associated and described as _the_ document root
via the DocumentRoot directive) the Apache server, besides all other tasks
and verifications, should make a dicision about what, strictly speaking, it
should return to the client - there are too many files in the directory :-).
In this case the DirectoryIndex directive does a good favour to the web
server. If the DirectoryIndex does not exist for the directory and the
Options directive contains the +Indexes flag the web server returns listing
of the directory to the client. Otherwise the server does not know what to
do and mostly returns an error which tells us that there is either no index
document or the directory is blocked (or whatever) for reading... :-)

Sorry if I told you too much which might confuse you.

Dmitry.
PS: This is not really difficult, I even think you've already solved the
problem by the time the letter arrives, so my decent excursus in how the
Apache works costs not much than a penni. :-))