httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Where to put <directory>
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 14:06:03 GMT

On Fri, 17 May 2002, RuneImp wrote:

> <Directory> is it's own "thing" which works independently
> of any <VirtualHost *>, to my knowledge. So yes it should
> be outside.

This is not strictly true.  Check the "context" in the documentation and
you will see that <directory> sections can indeed go in <virtualhost>
sections.  It is just a question of scope.  If you put the <directory>
inside the <virtualhost>, then that configuration will apply to that
directory only if you access it through that specific virtual host.  If
you put the <directory> outside the <virtualhost>, then if more than one
virtual host has access to the directory, they will all get the same
configuration.

Joshua.