httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: IP address -> Name
Date Sun, 26 May 2002 18:29:35 GMT
On Wed, 29 May 2002, Ashutosh Kadakia wrote:

> Got a question.
>
> I have a remotely hosted site. I assume is virutally hosted.
>
> I would like to deny access to people who have the wrong address meaning if
> the address is http://www.bob.com/~bob and the ip address is 1.2.3.4 i dont
> want people to be able to access it using http://1.2.3.4/~bob
>
> Im not sure if its possible on a virutally hosted remote site (to which i do
> not have access to the config files. it needs to be done thru .ht files)

This is very easy if you are doing name-based virtual hosting. Accessing
the server by IP address can be handled one of two ways. Either you
explicitly call a name-based vhost by the name "1.2.3.4", or you just
let the _default_ vhost catch all hosts that don't explicitly match a
name.

--
Rich Bowen
Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI