httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Why keep 2 versions ?
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 10:58:03 GMT
On Fri, 10 May 2002, Chan Kwok Leung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm very new to Apache. I've installed from RPM of Apache 1.3 in RH7.2.
> I just have a look on the apache.org. I found there are 2 version for
> the apache, 1.3 and 2.0.
> Version 2.0 seems much better than 1.3. So, why are there still some
> development s on v1.3 ? Why don't us all change to v2.0 ?

That is the goal, yes. 2.0 is the new version, and is intended to
replace 1.3 once it gets all of the kinks worked out. We just had a GA
(General Availability) release of 2.0 a few weeks ago, and there are
still a few things being nailed down.

1.3 has been the stable version for a number of years now, and has had
about 20 releases during that time. 2.0 has, so far, had just 2 releases
(after the initial alpha and beta phase, that is) so some people don't
feel comfortable with it yet. However, apache.org web sites have been
running 2.0 for many months.

Rich
--
Cooper McGregor - Apache and mod_perl training
http://www.CooperMcGregor.com/