httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Authenticated redirects, <text-format_this_time>
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 16:43:53 GMT

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Paul Stephenson wrote:
> taken away from the linux machine.  My question is, is there anyway that
> I can setup apache so that you can only listen to the audio samples if
> you hit the link from the shopping cart system.  I am trying to do this
> so that people just can't link to my streams from anywhere without going
> through the shopping cart (could take a lot of bandwidth if people
> started providing links to me streams on other sites).  I know this is
> partially a windows question, but I don't know where else to ask.

What you need to do is check the Referer header before serving the stream.
But this needs to be done on the windows system, not the linux system.
There is no point in doing any restrictions on the linux system, since
people could simply bypass that system and go directly to the streams on
the other box.

Blocking access by referer is relatively simple on apache, but I have no
idea what the technique is on whatever system you are using for the
streaming.

Joshua.