httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Transfer Encoding header problem
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 14:01:10 GMT

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Selva wrote:
> I missed this question in my previous mail. Let me explain the problem:
>
> I have a java program (servlet) that copies all the request headers back in to
>
> response object. When I access this java program through Netscape iPlanet web
> server, using HTTP\1.1, everything works fine. I get the Transfer-Encoding
> header in the response. But, when I access the same program through Apache
> 1.3.19, using HTTP\1.1, I get two Transfer-Encoding headers in the response!
> So, I had modified the java program, not to copy all the request headers in to
>
> response. Now, everything works fine. In the case of getting two
> Transfer-Encoding headers in response, I am wondering, whether Apache puts the
>
> Transfer-Encoding header in to the response or what exactly was happening?
>
> So, I tried this with different Apache servers and the result was first mail.
>
> Now, I would like to know, what is the default behavior of Apache with respect
>
> to HTTP\1.1 protocol and Transfer-Encoding header in the response?

Apache's default behavior is to follow the HTTP/1.1 protocol by putting
Transfer-Encoding in the response in cases where the Transfer is Encoded
in some way (ie, chunked).  If your servlet can't deal with that, then
there is a problem with the servlet.  Blindly copying all input headers to
the output seems like a very poor idea.

To be honest, I still can't figure out exactly what your problem is.
Apache is following the HTTP/1.1 protocol, and your servlet needs to deal
with that.

Joshua.