httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Why keep 2 versions ?
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 14:45:07 GMT

On Fri, 10 May 2002, RuneImp wrote:

> 2.0.x is very new and many popular Apache modules do not
> currently work with the new version of Apache. Also not
> everything works properly yet in the 2.0.x branch.

Hmmm... Not everything works properly in the 1.3 branch either.  And there
are certainly some things that are broken in 1.3 but working in 2.0.
That is pretty much the nature of software.

> So if your in a production environment or need access to
> certain modules then you should use the 1.3.x branch.

I would modify that slightly.  If you are setting up a new server, then
use Apache 2.0 unless one of the following applies:

- You need to use external modules that are not available or stable under
2.0.

- You are affected by specific bugs that exist in 2.0 but not 1.3.

I wouldn't have any qualms about using 2.0 in production, as long as you
test is thoroughly.  (And the same goes for 1.3.)

Joshua.