httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: virtual hosts question
Date Fri, 03 May 2002 17:16:01 GMT

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Jason Lile wrote:
> currently the main server obviously serves all hits and it is important that the
> config stay this way (to the best of my knowledge) as we are using SSL and a VPN
> connection so the IP of the main server is VERY important.  i have read all the
> docs on the vhosts and tried several configs... problem is, anytime i get a
> vhost container to work, it serves ALL the hits to the server.  i can't get
> multiple domain names to work w/o setting up multiple containers... which
> includes one for the main server which i do NOT want to do at this point.  i am

You MUST have a <virtualhost> container for each host that will be served
by a name virtual host configuration.  But this should not scare you at
all.  Consider the following:

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
Servername same.as.main.host
DocumentRoot /same/as/main/host
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
Servername other
DocumentRoot /other
</VirtualHost>

etc...

Now all the settings from the main host will be inherited by that first
virtual host, so it should behave exactly as it did before.

The only other way to do this is to assign one extra IP address to the
machine and have all the name virtual hosts live on that extra IP address.
Then you use

NameVirtualHost extra.ip.address
<VirtualHost extra.ip.address>
</VirtualHost>