httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Require a Group but exclude a User
Date Fri, 03 May 2002 15:22:37 GMT
On Fri, 3 May 2002, alex dyas wrote:

> You would probably have to add a separate re-write rule for each user,
> something like :
>
> RerwiteEngine On
> RewriteCond %{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} ^intramgr$
> RewriteRule .* - [F]
> RewriteCond %{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} ^foo$
> RewriteRule .* - [F]
> RewriteCond %{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} ^bar$
> RewriteRule .* - [F]

Or, even easier (since RewriteCond's are "ands"):
RerwiteEngine On
RewriteCond %{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} ^intramgr$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} ^foo$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} ^bar$
RewriteRule .* - [F]

> This is sort of why I said it wasn't an elegant solution.  Having to add
> config specific to each user sucks, particularly as you are probably
> having to bounce the server each time you make a change.  Someone else's
> solution to define your users and groups differently would probably be
> better in the long run.

Yes, there are various ways to make this easiers, such as using an
external map file for the users, but it is better in the end to use Rich's
suggestions of properly setting up the groups.

Joshua.