httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: CGI and Virtual Hosts ...still :(
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 18:08:17 GMT

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Subscribed wrote:

> Exactly! My cgi scripts (perl) work fine! It's the exe's that give me
> trouble.
> What youre saying is that since it's not a script, but rather a program,
> that is shouldnt run?

> > > [Thu May 02 12:52:50 2002] [error] [client 24.27.130.80] malformed
> header
> > > from script. Bad header=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF:
> > > h:/myweb/cgi-bin/cgitest.exe
> >
> > cgitest.exe is not a cgi script.  A cgi script must emit, at minimum, a
> > Content-Type HTTP header plus a blank line before it sends any html.
> >
> > See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/cgi.html#writingacgiprogram

No.  I'm saying that this program doesn't follow the basic rules that
allow it to use the Common Gateway Interface (CGI).  You can't just take
any old program and expect it to work with a webserver.  It needs to
follow the CGI rules.

You might be able to try the following script as a work-around, but it is
not a great idea:

#!/usr/bin/perl
# (or wherever your perl is located)
print "Content-type: text/html\r\n\r\n";
exec h:/myweb/cgi-bin/cgitest.exe

(That might be very bad perl... I'm not exactly a perl expert either.)

Joshua.