httpd-users mailing list archives

From "~jb~" <...@imk9.com>
Subject RE: Local Server - Virtual Domains
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 17:53:13 GMT
> You still need 127.0.0.1 localhost in your /etc/hosts.

I'll look at it. Should it not also say 192.168.0.6 Joe?

I did not change /etc/hosts, though maybe install did. Also, i'm
browsing from my Windoze box, which is one reason i changed the
hostname on Linux box, because sometimes i have reason to use
'localhost' on Windoze box, and i didn't want confusion.

More clarification:

I completely buggered up my httpd.conf and copied the
original over it. But as i recall things went like this:

- I edited for hostname.

- Verified it worked (http://joe)

- Made aliases, verified they worked, and then commented
  them out.

- Made virtual host "billybob" pointing at /webs/billybob.
  I could not browse to http://billybob, however if i browsed to
  http://joe, i got dumped in the /billybob directory.

Oh, and i restarted server and cleared my cache in between
these steps.

> Next have you read the apache doc related to virutal hosting?
> What typeof
> virtual are you trying todo? namebased, IP address, port?

Oh trust me i read and read. I *hate* asking for help. I
want to do name-based hosting, IOW i want to browse to
http://billybob, on server "Joe," from Windoze box.

~jb~