httpd-users mailing list archives

From "James Bear" <james.s.b...@sendit.nodak.edu>
Subject RE: virtual hosting
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 12:54:58 GMT
Thank you.  How can you tell if the DNS is not yet resolved or not?

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 7:35 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: virtual hosting

On Thu, 30 May 2002, James Bear wrote:
> TWo virtual host sections?  You mean two separate blocks for virtual
hosts?
> I looked at the documentation again that you pointed out to me, and I
don't
> see that anywhere.  I was under the impression you  needed one block for
> each virtualhost.

Yes, you need one block for each virtual host.  But it makes no sense to
have only one virtual host -- the definition of virtual hosting is to
serve more than one host on a single machine -- and each host you want to
serve needs a <virtualhost> block.  As the documentation states, the
"main" server DocumentRoot will never be used once you setup
name-virtual-hosting.

> NameVirtualHost *
> <VirtualHost _default_:*>

The document I pointed you at certainly doesn't look like that.  The
_default_ thing is not used with name-virtual hosts.  You should simply
have <VirtualHost *>.

> ServerName www.montpeliernd.com
> DocumentRoot /var/www/montpelier
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost _default_:*>
> ServerName www.landlstables.com
> DocumentRoot /var/www/krueger
> </VirtualHost>

In addition, neither of those hostnames resolves for me.  Your virtual
hosts obviously aren't going to work until your DNS works.

Joshua.