httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyce, Nick" <nick.bo...@eds.com>
Subject RE: Problems starting Apache 2.0.36
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 12:16:53 GMT
John Lawrence asked :

> I just installed httpd-2.0.36 on my box:
> Suse Linux 7.0 2.2.18
[...]
> apachectl start: httpd started

OK - so it started up all right ...

> I then tried connecting to localhost, but it wouldn't connect.
> So I went to stop apache (apachectl stop) and got:
> apachectl stop: httpd (pid 32075?) not running

... but must have crashed soon afterwards ...

> My error_log contains several (I've tried a few times) pairs of lines:
> [Mon May 13 23:00:23 2002] [emerg] (22)Invalid argument: Couldn't set
> permissions on cross-process lock; check User and Group directives

... and *that* sounds pretty fatal.

A quick Google on the "cross-process lock" bit gives me
http://apache.dev.wapme.net/doxygen-2.0/prefork_8c-source.html, but *I*
can't view it (gives me "connection refused" ... maybe overloaded ... maybe
doesn't like .com sites).  The Google cache has the code which produces the
message :

00954 #if APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
00955     if (ap_accept_lock_mech == APR_LOCK_DEFAULT ||
00956         ap_accept_lock_mech == APR_LOCK_SYSVSEM) {
00957 #else
00958     if (ap_accept_lock_mech == APR_LOCK_SYSVSEM) {
00959 #endif
00960         rv = unixd_set_proc_mutex_perms(accept_mutex);
00961         if (rv != APR_SUCCESS) {
00962             ap_log_error(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_EMERG, rv, s,
00963                          "Couldn't set permissions on cross-process
lock");
00964             return 1;
00965         }
00966     }

It's something to do with Apache 2's new process management model, and the
message comes from code which is playing with semaphores and mutexes - maybe
you specified the wrong kind of Unix when you built your binary ?  Or "make"
got confused about what kind of Unix you have.

There are probably ./configure flags (haven't tried Apache 2 yet myself ..)
with which you can specify what kind of process sync model to use ... you
just have to figure out what will work on your box :-)

Hope this helps.