httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sharath Muppala <SMupp...@digimarc.com>
Subject RE: Using C++ instead of Java servlets with Apache
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 15:34:03 GMT
I don't want to use CGI c++ program because that is not a scalable solution.
CGI starts separate process for each request.
I want to use Some C++ routine on server side to return an image file to the
requesting client using apache.

We don't want to use Sockets as we had bad experience with sockets  in our
previous projects Instead we are thinking of going for HTTP protocol for
data and image transfer. Another advantage is Using Apache and WinHTTP is
that we will be relieved from writing logic for listening to port and doing
other low level things.

After browsing the net I got some alternatives like ISAPI, C++ Servelet
container and PHP but I don't know whether these things work on apache
server running on unix box.

-----Original Message-----[Muppala, Sharath ]
From: George Gallen [mailto:ggallen@slackinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 10:54 AM
To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Using C++ instead of Java servlets with Apache

I'm not sure exactly what your using, as I've not used Winhttp or API's.

But, it sounds like you want to run a C++ cgi routine. Is this routine
going to have the C++ then turn around and open a socket to the client
machine
that has some sort of listening program that will receive the image,

or do you want the cgi routine to return an image file to the requesting
process
using apache to return a file?

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, it sounds like you just need to
write a cgi program in C++.

George