httpd-users mailing list archives

From Roman Zillek <roman.zil...@sec4you.com>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite, mod_proxy, mod_ssl, mod_radius && apache (of course :-)) problem!!
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 10:16:45 GMT
Hi, just wondered if nobody has had this type of problem before since no
Well, I found a rather misleading paragraph on the offical apache faq
site "http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#rewrite-nocase":

<Quote>
6.How can I make all my URLs case-insensitive with mod_rewrite?
You can't! The reasons are: first, that, case translations for arbitrary
length URLs cannot be done via regex patterns and corresponding
substitutions. One needs a per-character pattern like the sed/Perl
tr|..|..| feature. Second, just making URLs always upper or lower case
does not solve the whole problem of case-INSENSITIVE URLs, because URLs
actually have to be rewritten to the correct case-variant for the file
residing on the filesystem in order to allow Apache to access the file.
And the Unix filesystem is always case-SENSITIVE.

But there is a module named mod_speling.c in the Apache distribution.
Try this module to help correct people who use mis-cased URLs.
<\Quote>

But WHY is the lowercase Rewrite-Ruleset working on all of the URL on my
Windows box ???
According to the FAQ entry it shouldn't!

Anybody out there able to direct me to some sort of solution, please

thx
Roman