httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Running multiple apache instances
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 11:23:33 GMT
Boris Kimel wrote:

> Hello maillist members,
>
> I dunno if the subject is discussed elsewhere (it should), but
> extensive googling din't give anything reasonable. I'd like to set up
> some two or more completely independent apache servers on one linux box to
> let users configure them any way they like without bothering the root
> (me). Could anyone point me to some documentation? I think I know the
> steps to be made, but just wanted to hear from someone actually using
> such a setup...

Don't know about documentation, but I'd draw your attention to the
following points:

- You can have as many instances of apache as you like, so long as they
bind to different sockets (i.e., listen to different IP address/port
number combinations).

- each instance can listen to many sockets (i.e. can use IP-based and
port-based virtualhosting).

- each instance can use name-based virtualhosting.

- unless the servers are started as root, they can only bind to port
numbers > 1024.

Basically, just make sure there is never any contention and all will be
well.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.