httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Help cannot see my web sites
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 14:03:54 GMT
Gilbert wrote:

> Hi there to whom this may concern:
>
> I stopped the apachectl daemon and then restarted it now I cannot see
> any of the websites on my Server.
>
> And if I have a look at all the processes running I cannot see it in
> there either, even though I start the httpd from the command line and it
> says that it is started it is clearly NOT!

Lesson 1: Don't count on the output of "apachctl" - it only means the
script ran without error. This doesn't mean that apache actually
started.

To check that, you must look in the tail of the error_log. This is the
file defined by the ErrorLog directive which by default is
/usr/local/apache/logs/error_log.

If you are using unix, do "tail -f error_log" in the log directory to
see the messages as they are logged.

Respond with the error_log message if you don't figure it out yourself..

Rgds,

owen Boyle.