httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Directoryindex
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 07:18:11 GMT
Hasanuddin Tamir wrote:

> On Mon, 13 May 2002, Owen Boyle <obo@bourse.ch> wrote,
>
> > I'm not sure about the "*" as the VH attribute...

> According to the docs it's a wildcard to match any IP, and it's recommended
> to be used with name-based VH.

Exactly my point - it's specified as an argument for the NameVirtualHost
directive. But the user was using it in a <VirtualHost> container. In
the doc for <VirtualHost>, it doesn't mention "*" but instead says:

	The special name _default_ can be specified in which case
	this virtual host will match any IP address that is not
	explicitly listed in another virtual host.

So I always assumed that the correct syntax was;

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost _default_>

I'm not saying it won't work with a "*" but it's not how I would set it
up based on the docs.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.