httpd-users mailing list archives

From Darryl Cook <...@cs.appstate.edu>
Subject authorization question
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 14:42:50 GMT
I need some enlightenment on the following situation:

I am trying to require a password for all student home pages using
Apache 1.3.

The Document Root is /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/u.
Inside that directory are department directories such as cs, math, and
students.
In the /u directory a link for each student is created to the students
directory.

Inside the httpd.conf file I have a directory section for
/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/u/students which requires a password.  This
works fine except for the case where you put in a browser
httpd://server/~student-name.  It bypasses the password and lets you
right in.  If I put in httpd://server/students/student-name it requires
a password.

Question:  How do I require the password for the ~student-name entry?
(without using .htaccess)

thanks for any help,
darryl