httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: help! changing ports
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 13:58:23 GMT
Amy Zediak wrote:

> hello~
>
> I'm new to Apache and i recently tried to install Apache2 in Unix when i
> discovered that:
>
> (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]80
>
> I realize that its on the wrong port (i'm not root) but how do i switch
> the ports?  I know about the Listen command but its not working for me.

Only processes owned by root can bind to ports < 1024. If you cannpt
start apache as root, you must Listen to a higher port. e.g.

	Listen 8000

Then you should be able to see your site with:

	http://your-server:8000/

(i.e. if the port is not equal to 80, you must specify it in the URL).

BTW, I am assuming that you have an IP address for your machine and that
"your-server" resolves to this address.

If you don't have a network card, use localhost, i.e.

	Listen 127.0.0.1:8000 and http://localhost:8000/

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.