httpd-users mailing list archives

From Umberto Nicoletti <unicole...@arpa.veneto.it>
Subject Re: How best to remove and reinstall?
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 14:09:00 GMT

David Jackson wrote:

> I always install from *.tgz source just so I have controll over where
> everything goes. It's actually painless.
> Just use ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache; make; make install
> The advantage is (1) everything under one dir. (2) When you have to compile
> something against it (PHP for instance) you know exactly where to find it.
>
> Same applies to MySQL and other apps.
>
> Plus building from soruce is looks good on  resumes.
>
> HTH.
>
> p.s. It also makes it easy to uninstall or backup(
> rm -R; cp -R apache apcache.old), which is helpfull if you want to test
> changes. djj

I usually install apache in /usr/local/apache.x.y.z and symlink
/uar/local/apache to /usr/local/apache.x.y.z.
This way I can have as many versions of Apache I want under /usr/local
and then
just change the symlink to switch between them.

umberto

> > What a mess! Apache 1.3.22 was installed 'automatically' during a Red
> > Hat 7.2 installation. After a great deal of help from this list I got
> > it running. Then I tried to install frontpage server extensions. Almost
> > everything in fp looks for /usr/local/apache... and I am tired.
> > I wonder if (after saving the httpd.conf file for reference) rpm -u
> > would it all go away and I could start over and install in
> > /usr/local/apache? Is there a better way?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bill

Umberto Nicoletti - unicoletti@arpa.veneto.it | sysmaster@arpa.veneto.it
Tel. 049-8239380 (assistenza)

"We'll try to make different mistakes this time." - Larry Wall