httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dario Spagnolo <sp...@ifrance.com>
Subject Re: MaxRequestsPerChild has no effect
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 21:12:22 GMT
On Monday 27 May 2002 23:03, you wrote:
> On Mon, 27 May 2002, Dario Spagnolo wrote:
> > The problem is that with the default setting of this directive, swap
> > memory slowly gets filled up by memory leaks probably due to poor PHP
> > scripts. The server is a shared server that hosts 130 websites
> > (http://www.zaphebergeur.net).
>
> Or could you just be running out of memory because your server is busy?

The server is indeed busy at sometimes but the last mrtg graph at
http://mrtg.zaphebergeur.net shows that free swap memory goes down or stays
unchanged but never goes up, even during off-peaks hours. The only time pages
get freed up from swap space is when I restart Apache. So I would just like
to do the same thing on a child basis.

> > The directive has absolutely no effect and I can see in the server-status
> > page that children that have processed more than 50 (100, 200 or 500)
> > requests are still there with the same PID and the generation number
> > never gets over 0 (zero).
>
> If I am not mistaken, generation number indicates the parent generation;
> ie. how many times the server has been gracefully restarted.
>
> Are you really seeing the numbers under "acc" go up indefinitely?

Acc numbers do go up indefinetely and I can see that the PID of each children
remains unchanged even after several thousands requests.

> > I read somewhere that there was a bug in MaxRequestsPerChild which made
> > it count connections instead of requests. I wouldn't mind if it counted
> > connections but I don't think my Apache has ever been taught to count
> > anything ! :)
>
> At this point, it's not really a bug in MaxRequestsPerChild as the fact
> that the directive is misnamed.  It is really MaxConnectionsPerChild.

"Invalid command 'MaxConnectionsPerChild', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by
a module not included in the server configuration"
I haven't checked but maybe the MaxConnectionsPerChild directive is a new
directive in Apache 2.0.