httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dario Spagnolo <sp...@ifrance.com>
Subject MaxRequestsPerChild has no effect
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 19:58:06 GMT
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with MaxRequestsPerChild directive.

My configuration :
Server Version: Apache/1.3.24 (Unix) PHP/4.1.2
OS : Linux 2.4 / Mandrake 8.1
Architecture : 586

The problem is that with the default setting of this directive, swap memory
slowly gets filled up by memory leaks probably due to poor PHP scripts. The
server is a shared server that hosts 130 websites
(http://www.zaphebergeur.net).
So I tried to change this setting to something very low to see if it solved
my problem. I tried with 500, then 200, then 100 and then 50.

The directive with 3 context lines looks like this :

#       an initial request and 10 subsequent "keptalive" requests, it
#       would only count as 1 request towards this limit.
#
MaxRequestsPerChild 50

# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>

The directive has absolutely no effect and I can see in the server-status
page that children that have processed more than 50 (100, 200 or 500)
requests are still there with the same PID and the generation number never
gets over 0 (zero).
Just in case you ask "have you restarted Apache", I say I do have restarted
apache with apachectl restart (and also apachectl stop to check if really all
the processes had gone).

I read somewhere that there was a bug in MaxRequestsPerChild which made it
count connections instead of requests. I wouldn't mind if it counted
connections but I don't think my Apache has ever been taught to count
anything ! :)

Your help is greatly appreciated !

Dario