httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to>
Subject 2.0.36 range header with cgi script problem
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 14:02:57 GMT
After upgrading to apache 2.0.36 I started seeing 416 errors in my logs.
After doing a bit of tracking, I found that when a range header is used
in a request (for example Range: bytes=0- ) that is handled by a cgi-bin
script, the request fails with a 416 status code indicating that there
is no content in the specified range. This looks like a bug.

In the example below the original request is handled through a redirect
to a program that returns information about different games based on
the original request.

The clients I have had this problem with are SmartDownload and something
that says it is MSIE 5.01, but probably isn't.

Here is an example session:
Script started on Tue May 21 08:55:20 2002
[bruno@wolff bruno]$ telnet wolff.to 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...

Connected to localhost.localdomain.

Escape character is '^]'.

GET /area/B_ACS.tsv HTTP/1.1
Host: wolff.to
Range: bytes=0-

HTTP/1.1 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable