httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <burri...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: Running multiple apache instances
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 15:35:18 GMT
On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 10:47:04AM -0400, Lee Fellows wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 09:41, Zac Stevens wrote:
> > On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 01:21:15PM +0100, James Tait wrote:
> > > Non-root users won't be able to bind Apache to port 80 without something
> > > like sudo.  The choice is entirely yours. :)
> >
> > This isn't entirely true - most *nix platforms these days offer a way to
> > allow non-root users to bind to ports <1024.
>
>   Could you elaborate?

I didn't realise that this bordered on voodoo, but looking around for
notes I'm starting to suspect otherwise...

This was used in several places at a former employer, however I suspect
that on Linux this was an in-house hack to the kernel.  Solaris does
provide a variable in the tcp driver named 'tcp_smallest_nonpriv_port'.

You can access its value with 'ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_smallest_nonpriv_port'
I believe that it can be lowered with a setting in /etc/system.  I'll
enquire and report back on this one, but it is certainly possible.

Apologies to the list - seems I've taken this one for granted when I should
have checked for references.

Zac