httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <burri...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: .htaccess file retrieved by browser
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 00:23:20 GMT
Hola Andres,

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 07:12:51PM -0500, Dummy wrote:
> I don't know if this behavior occurs by design, or is a reported bug in
> Apache, or even if it is a particular configuration problem.
>
> Isn't Apache supposed not to serve this kind of files? Is there some
> httpd.conf directive I can turn on to solve this?

You'll need the following in your configuration:

<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

This is in the sample configuration distributed with Apache these days.
Apache 1.3.12 is pretty long in the tooth and contains several security
problems.  I gather from your post that you aren't responsible for the
Apache installation itself - in which case you may wish to ask your
provider to upgrade to the current version.

Hope that helps,

Zac