httpd-users mailing list archives

From JW ...@centraltexasit.com>
Subject Re: Can a proxied httpd be combined with name-based virutal hosting?
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 17:44:46 GMT
LF >Hi Jonathan,
LF >
LF >  I am not sure this would be doable with Name-based virtual hosting,
LF >but a possible solution is to configure IP based virtual hosting on the
LF >users' servers such that each host uses the same IP address, but a
LF >different port: i.e., <VirtualHost 10.x.x.x:8080></VirtualHost> and
LF ><VirtualHost 10.x.x.x:8081></VirtualHost>.  Also add the Listen
LF >directive for Apache to listen to the new port.  On the proxy server,
LF >you configure a new redirect to the new port on the user's machine.
LF >
LF >HTH

Hey,

Thanks, that's what I was stating to conclude.

I actually got around the problem by setting up an lo alias:

lo:1      Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.2  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

And running the second web site on the same port on .2

I think tha'ts a satifactory solution - at the very least it is working in a tecnical sense.
I don't know if ther'es any general issues with using an aliased lo or not.

Thanks again...

	JW