httpd-users mailing list archives

From Csaba Gabor <csaba2...@yahoo.com>
Subject "Look back" functionality in Windows
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 14:56:13 GMT
Hi,

    I have read the article at http://www.promotionbase.com/article/485 by Chris Beasley about
so called 'Look back' functionality that is evidently available for Apache on Linux and certain
flavors of Unix.  According to my understanding, it works as follows:  If apache receives
request for http://myserver.com/dir1/myProg.php/the/rest/of/these/do/not/exist where dir1/
(and
dir1/myProg.php) exists, but not dir1/the/ then Apache evidently backtracks up the nonexistant
directory tree until it gets to something that does exist and calls that.  So in this case
dir1/myProg.php would get called with $PATH_INFO evidently containing
myProg.php/the/rest/of/these/do/not/exist

    I have Apache 2.0.35, PHP 4.2.0 as a module on a Win2K machine (Sob), and it doesn't work
(I
get a 404 error - page not found).  In addition, I wasn't able to find mention of this under
the
words that I searched for anywhere else on the web.  Is there documentation about this 'feature'
(and what is its proper name?) and a way to turn it on in windows?
    Also, I would like to go a step further, and have myProg.php rather be index.php and not
even mention it the mix.  That is, I would expect index.php to pick up the request when the
server is called with http://myserver.com/dir1/the/rest/of/these/do/not/exist

    Thanks for any tips,
        Csaba