httpd-users mailing list archives

From moixa <mo...@gmx.ch>
Subject Apache 2.0.36 restart as non-root
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 11:41:11 GMT
Hi everybody,

I want to rotate my logs as non-root user (as fcron does not allow any
cron job running as root, which I prefer too) from a script.

After moving the access_log (or error_log) I have to send httpd the
graceful restart "kill -SIGUSR1 $HTTPD_PID".
Unfortunately this doesn't work (Operation not permitted) as non-root
user, because the parent process of httpd is running as root (which is
the right thing?!).

I'm running apache 2.0.36 on my LFS (linuxfromscratch.org).

Everything else works fine. The server is started on boot-up time
using an rc.d script and after that running as user httpd with gid
httpd (except for the parent process which is running as root)

Is there a way to do that? Any ideas?

Greetings
Tobias Sager

As a remark: before v2.0 I used apache v1.3 and moved the log without
giving httpd a signal. Everything worked fine then...