httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David Jackson" <david.j.jack...@pickledbeans.com>
Subject RE: Local Server - Virtual Domains
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 18:29:45 GMT
JB --
I'm running Apache-2.0.36,PHP4.2.0 and named bases virtual host, on a local
network. I have 2 Vhost setup meatloaf.homelinux.net and gravy.homelinux.net:
The box itself is called slacker.homelinux.net (Slackware-8.0).

Here is the changes I made to get Vhost working on slacker:

- ------------ /etc/hosts --------------------------------------
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.1     slacker.homelinux.net meatloaf.homelinux.net slacker meatloaf
192.168.1.2     dabean.homelinux.net    dabean
192.168.1.3     beans.homelinux.net     beans
# Note the vhost are listed as aliases for slacker

--------------- httd.conf --------------------------------------
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

NameVirtualHost *
#
# VirtualHost example:
# Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
# The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known
# server name.
#
#<VirtualHost *>
#    ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
#    DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
#    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
#    ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
#    CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
#</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName meatloaf.homelinux.net
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
DocumentRoot /home/davej/meatloaf
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName gravy.homelinux.net
DocumentRoot /home/davej/gravy
DirectoryIndex index.html
</VirtualHost>

-------------------------- Notes on Mandrake/RedHat -----------
Redhat,Mandrake and Debian use System V startup scripts.
Take a peek at /etc/network files and /etc/hostname.
Note: The extra directory index in vitural host section shouldn't be
required, but then again they might be....long story

Hope this help.