httpd-users mailing list archives

From James S Bear <james.s.b...@sendit.nodak.edu>
Subject Re: virtual hosting
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 01:51:33 GMT
Been there.  I realize my question was quite general.  When I joined this
list, I did it as a last resort.  When I was looking at the list, it said that
we must remember many of the people are just starting with apache.  And
condescension might not be appreciated.  Sometimes, when we have looked at
things over and over again and we don't feel like the specifics are doing what
we need, it is beneficial to step back and get a different perspective.  What
I was looking for was somebody else's idea of the basics.  I've read
practically everything at apache.org.  I've managed to get almost everything
working that way.  I've got my .htaccess working great.  I've got my entire
server working great, until it comes time for virtualhosting. At this point,
even having read the documentation, it doesn't work.  I have set things set up
just like the documentation (which is where I guessed first as well) tells me
to, but it just doesn't seem to work.  What I wanted, hopefully, was for
somebody that would be able to tell me an error that they had had and was
hoping it would work for me.  I don't know that people trying to make people
feel stupid helps anyone, unless of course it is an ego boost for the person
making the comments.  Just a stab in the dark.  I know it probably wasn't
helpful for me to be as general as I was, but at the time, that's all my
frustration would allow me to do.  Now, things are slightly different.  I feel
a little more like I can elaborate better.  I am running apache 1.323.  I used
webmin to set it up initially, but I have manually changed things in the
httpd.conf file.  I, in fact, totally scrapped the httpd.conf file that was
generated by apache and replaced it with my own, but then my password stuff
didn't work.  I should've figured that.  But then, I put the basic idea of a
virtual host into the file, like this:
     <VirtualHost *>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/directoryname
    ServerName www.whatever.com

    </VirtualHost>
It doesn't work.  When I restart apache, it doesn't come up with an error.
But the damned thing just doesn't work.
Why?  I don't know and I am starting to feel that frustration creep in again.
Thoughts?  Hopefully without criticism?

jim