httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 14:24:31 GMT
On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 09:39, Ed LaFrance wrote:
> At 09:11 AM 5/21/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hi Ed,
> >
> >   The errors you are getting have nothing to do with available memory.
> >A Segmentation fault is always (to the best of my knowledge) a program
> >error.  I am not familiar with Ben-SSL,
>
> I am pretty sure it is just mod_ssl by another name.
>
> >and it would seem no one else
> >on this list is either.  My only suggestions are: 1) attempt to truss
> >a child process and determine what it is attempting to do prior to
> >receiving the segmentation fault.
>
> I am admittedly ignorant on that, but it sounds like the right idea. I
> would be very greatful if you could offer an explanation of how to do it.

  I am not 100% sure about Red Hat, but on my SuSE box I would run
  strace -p <pid of child http process> having determined it by grepping
  a 'ps aux' for http and noting the pid of the child spawned by the
  apache server.  For testing purposes, I would configure apache to run
  no more than two server instances.  Makes identifying a child somewhat
  easier, and makes testing much easier.  While tracing the child, have
  someone make varied http/https calls and watch the output from strace.
  The difficult aspect may be in hitting the child with just the right
  call or combination of calls to trigger the behaviour incurring the
  segmentation fault.

  You can direct strace to send its output to a file, as opposed to
  watching it scroll past in a console window (strace -o <file to log
  to> -p <child http process id>).  Try manning strace to see the
  available options and how to read its output.

  HTH