httpd-users mailing list archives

From rm ...@crescentconstruction.com>
Subject Re: says "httpd started" but doesn't start
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 21:57:39 GMT

 Ok, I've searched the Faqs, the Google list, even "tek tips."  I've
 found two posts about the same issue, but no resolution - here goes;

 On a clean install of Redhat 7.1 I've installed (from source)
 Apache1.3.24, mod_perl, mod_ssl, openssl, php-4.2.1.  No error messages
 at configure or make, completed the certificate makeup, and after
 installing got the message, "you have successfully built and
 installed...."

 But...

 The "apachectl start" command returns "httpd started."  But it's not
 started  (no http process in ps aux, no pages served, no process in
 gnome monitor.)

 The error log reads:[warn]pid file /usr/local/ssl-apache/logs/httpd.pid
 overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?  Apache.pm
 failed to load.

 This is a clean install.  There are no previous apache runs, and even if
 there were wouldn't they show up as a running process? (they don't)  I
 get the same error message when using "httpd" or "httpd restart"

 Any ideas on where I've screwed up?

 Regis