httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: Can a proxied httpd be combined with name-based virutal hosting?
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 17:10:27 GMT
Hi Jonathan,

  I am not sure this would be doable with Name-based virtual hosting,
but a possible solution is to configure IP based virtual hosting on the
users' servers such that each host uses the same IP address, but a
different port: i.e., <VirtualHost 10.x.x.x:8080></VirtualHost> and
<VirtualHost 10.x.x.x:8081></VirtualHost>.  Also add the Listen
directive for Apache to listen to the new port.  On the proxy server,
you configure a new redirect to the new port on the user's machine.

HTH

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 12:28, JW wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We currently have a development environment set up for all our programmers.
>
> The way ot works is each users has an httpd running on an unprivileged port.
> That way they are able to stay completely out of each other's hair.
>
> The main HTTPD is proxing requests to dev<user>.ourdomain.tld to <user's>
httpd on various ports.

> The problem is up until now, they've only been working on 1 web site and now we need
to set up a second one that way.
> I really don't want another set of httpds running.
> So I'm trying to get name based virtual hosting to work on the user's servers, but it
seems like the proxying is filtering out the URL, so that the individual httpds never have
a chance to figure out where exactly the request is being made too.

> Is there any successful way to combine proxied servers with name based virtual hosting,
or am I stuck running on more ports/more IPs?