httpd-users mailing list archives

From com...@jobsdb.com.ph
Subject RE: chmod
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 00:00:46 GMT
well i've just follow the instruction on the article here:
http://www.usenix.org/sage/sysadmins/solaris/webservers/apache.html#install

anyways, thank you all for the reply.

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Glover [mailto:jmglov@incogen.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 10:33 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: chmod

common@jobsdb.com.ph wrote:
> the location of htdocs directory is right. htdocs has 2771 permission,
> then files and directories inside htdocs has 664 permissions.
>
> when i try to access the page it says:
>
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /sampdir/template.htm on this server.
>
> and there's no error/s indicate on the logs.
>

> but if i chmod to 665, then that's the only time i can view the page.

Of course. That is how UNIX permissions work, my friend. In order for
Apache to serve up page /usr/local/apache/htdocs/index.html, each
directory below htdocs in the tree must have the execute bit set for at
least the apache user. And, the index.html file must have the read bit
set for the apache user.

So, in your case, you *must* set the execute bit on ../htdocs/sampdir.
Try this (from your htdocs dir):

chmod a+x sampdir

I bet Apache serves the sucker. Now:

chmod a-x sampdir

And you get the permission error, right? Got it?

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@incogen.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.