httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jack Nerad <jne...@cimedia.com>
Subject Re: Why chunked transfer in POST requests is forbidden?
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 13:22:04 GMT
On Wednesday 29 May 2002 23:17, Roman Suzi wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2002, Jack Nerad wrote:
> >On Wednesday 29 May 2002 10:58, Roman Suzi wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> it seems that it is not possible for CGI (or mod_python, or
> >> mod_php) scripts to get POST requests with trasfer-encoding set to
> >> chunked. Error 411 tells that it is forbidden. So, upload doesnt
> >> work this way!
> >>
> >> How do I switch this feature ON? (I really need it for a special
> >> application, so there are no security concerns.)
> >>
> >> I do not believe Apache 1x can't do it. It itself uses chunked
> >> with HTTP/1.1 quite frequently.
> >>
> >> I understand it is switched off by default for some reason. But
> >> how to switch it on? I can't find anything in the docs...
> >>

> >http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.4.12
> >
> >The 411 Error message seems to suggest that the content length is
> > not being sent along with the chunked header.
> >
> >Is it possible this is an error with the client rather than the
> > server?
>
> According to
>
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec4.html#sec4.4
>
> transfer-encoding is valid way to specify length. Each chunk has it's
> length specified. So, client doesn't deviate from standards.

I'm not an apache hacker, but this document

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/client_block_api.html

says that apache will send a 411 error if the chunked request has a
body but does not have a Content-Length.  Since your clients are
actually passing a Content-Length, I'm afraid I don't understand what
is happening.  Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to help you.

--
Jack Nerad