httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ron Wingfield" <dtc...@ionet.net>
Subject Re: virtual hosting
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 02:15:44 GMT
Don't apologze for anything!  I've been a contract programmer/analyst for twenty-three years:
 unix/C, OS/400 COBOL's, RPG's, CLP, Windows when absolutely necessary, etc.  There are no
dumb questions.  Every day, I seem to know less and less about this stuff; in airplane speek,
it's easy to get behind the power curve.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James S Bear
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 8:51 PM
  Subject: Re: virtual hosting

  Been there.  I realize my question was quite general.  When I joined this
  list, I did it as a last resort.  When I was looking at the list, it said that
  we must remember many of the people are just starting with apache.  And
  condescension might not be appreciated.  Sometimes, when we have looked at
  things over and over again and we don't feel like the specifics are doing what
  we need, it is beneficial to step back and get a different perspective.  What
  I was looking for was somebody else's idea of the basics.  I've read
  practically everything at apache.org.  I've managed to get almost everything
  working that way.  I've got my .htaccess working great.  I've got my entire
  server working great, until it comes time for virtualhosting. At this point,
  even having read the documentation, it doesn't work.  I have set things set up
  just like the documentation (which is where I guessed first as well) tells me
  to, but it just doesn't seem to work.  What I wanted, hopefully, was for
  somebody that would be able to tell me an error that they had had and was
  hoping it would work for me.  I don't know that people trying to make people
  feel stupid helps anyone, unless of course it is an ego boost for the person
  making the comments.  Just a stab in the dark.  I know it probably wasn't
  helpful for me to be as general as I was, but at the time, that's all my
  frustration would allow me to do.  Now, things are slightly different.  I feel
  a little more like I can elaborate better.  I am running apache 1.323.  I used
  webmin to set it up initially, but I have manually changed things in the
  httpd.conf file.  I, in fact, totally scrapped the httpd.conf file that was
  generated by apache and replaced it with my own, but then my password stuff
  didn't work.  I should've figured that.  But then, I put the basic idea of a
  virtual host into the file, like this:
       <VirtualHost *>
      DocumentRoot /var/www/directoryname
      ServerName www.whatever.com

      </VirtualHost>
  It doesn't work.  When I restart apache, it doesn't come up with an error.
  But the damned thing just doesn't work.
  Why?  I don't know and I am starting to feel that frustration creep in again.
  Thoughts?  Hopefully without criticism?

  jim