httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: open files
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 05:48:22 GMT

Russ wrote:

> Hi
>
> We're running Server version: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix) on RedHat 7.2. We have
> around 600 VS setup, each with a custom log file. Apache is saying:

> Too many open files: couldn't spawn child process:

With that many vhosts, you shouldn't keep a separate log file open for each,
due to the enormuos overhead. I suggest you log all (or most) activity to
one or a few log files, and find, or write, a program that frequently split
them on a vhost basis. I know that such utilities are in existens and been
discussed around here, but I have not yet felt the need (like you now) to
implement such solution myself. Perhaps some nice fellow around would point
you to information about this.

Regards,
Robert Andersson