httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn...@home.ro>
Subject Re: 2.0.35, SSI and cache
Date Sun, 05 May 2002 03:46:29 GMT
I've discovered that using www.host.com/index.shtml make the SSI work but
using only
www.host.com/ doesn't work.
... even the same file is loaded.

Teddy,
orasnita@home.ro

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Wright" <dougwright@grabbag.on.ca>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 5:06 AM
Subject: 2.0.35, SSI and cache

Hi all.

Hopefully the answer to this has not already been posted.  I did not see any
solutions in the April archives of this list so here goes...

I've been following the discussion regarding Apache 2.0.35, server side
includes and cache.  I'm having the same problem.

>From what I've discoved it seems to be a combination of 2.0.35 and HTTP 1.1
clients.  If I use Mozilla 0.9.9 or IE 5 to access a cached page with a hit
counter implemented with SSI the server always responses with 304 Not
Modifed.
Therefore the page is not reloaded and the counter doesn't increment.

Whereas with Netscape 4.76 (using HTTP 1.0) the client does not send any
headers pertaining to the last modified date of the file and the page is
reloaded appropriately.  I used Ethereal, sniffing my eth0 interface to
gather this data.

I've played with various settings of Xbithack, FileETag and mod_expires
directives for two days with no luck.

This all started with my upgrade to 2.0.35.  My last version (1.3.20) worked
fine with HTTP 1.0 or 1.1 clients.

Any thoughts?

-Doug