httpd-users mailing list archives

From "RuneImp" <r...@imptech.net>
Subject Re: Cake & eat it too :-)
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 17:50:50 GMT
There PHP files. Have your clients publish standard
HTML pages and then have your PHP files include them
& strip out the extra bits. Or setup a PHP interface
they can access to create the files that will be
used by the SSI.

-=- RuneImp
ImpTech - Web Design, Hosting & Computer Tech
http://imptech.net
rune@imptech.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Thompson" <httpd@sasknow.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 10:42 AM
Subject: SSI: Cake & eat it too :-)

Hi all,

I hope this isn't too far off-topic for this list... If so, please let
me know :-)

I'm working on a fairly typical site using SSI, but I'm having trouble
getting the resulting output to validate correctly, because, in this
instance, I need the <HEAD>...</HEAD> and opening <BODY> tag to be
part of the included file, and not part of the original source. So I
*want* to do something like:

<HTML>
<!--#include virtual="/master/head.php?title=Sample%20Page" -->

... Page content ...

<!--#include virtual="/master/foot.php" -->
</BODY>
</HTML>

head.php does some dynamic things with META tags in <HEAD>, dependent
on the DOCUMENT_URI, and the opening <BODY> tag also changes for
different regions of the site, so they really need to be dynamically
generated by an include.

The trouble is, the pages have to be maintained by the client's
publishing department, so they're going to be using certain WYSIWYG
editors that mangle the source to include <BODY> and <HEAD> elements
if not present...which, when saved, cause the final output to not
validate to 4.0 transitional standard, because of the multiple body
and head elements.

I'm sure someone has come across this before, but, at the moment, I
can't think of an elegant solution. (i.e., one that does not require
several includes, or break validation). Any thoughts?

Thanks,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-3630   Saskatoon