httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: Access Restrictions
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 05:49:54 GMT

On Monday, 13 May 2002, John Paul Szkudlapski wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have 4 public available web servers, I am just adding a fifth, but I
want
> to limit access to it, people will need to get access to it from both
inside
> and outside the college, it has a LAN and WAN card: -
>
> Is it possible I can do one of the following : -
>
> If you are comming from the .bsfc.ac.uk domain, you are allowed straight
> throught, but if you are not from our domain, you are asked for a password
?

> Thanks

Couldn't see any other replies to this, so I give it a shot.

Do you mean that only computers within your domain are to be allowed in
without password, or people browsing from such domain. Although not clear, I
bet you mean the former. You should be able to do this by setting Apache to
do a reverse DNS loopup so it knows the computer name/domain, then use that
info in an Allow directive.

I'm no expert, but read:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_access.html#allow

To ask for password for others, you may need to do a more complicated
configuration. As stated, I'm no expert, so my suggestion, or rather, guess,
is probably not the best one. Set up two vitrual hosts with the (almost)
exact same configuration; one as the real domain (the one people should surf
to) and the other as another domain name (although legal). The first should
have an allow directive, to only let people from your domain in, the other
should have a normal password restriction. You then apply a rewrite rule (of
which I know nothing about, but think should do the trick), which will
redirect/rewrite the URL to the second domain if itsn't from your domain.

Check out:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

Regards,

Robert Andersson